Congratulations to the 2012 DTS Spelling Bee winner Kaleigh Cervino, grade 7.
Her championship word was ‘magnificent’. Kaleigh and our runner-up, 7thgrader Sarah Grenfell, will both represent our school in the 2013 Delaware County Scripps Spelling Bee to be held March 23 at Neumann University in Aston.
The top five finishers:
1. Kaleigh Cervino (gr. 7)
2. Sarah Grenfell (gr. 7)
3. Mareen Servrien (gr. 6)
4. Skylor Fillis (gr. 7)
5. Isaiah Davis (gr. 8)
· Special thanks to our pronouncer, Lynn O’Boyle, and our judges Colleen DiMaggio and Jeff Esposito.
· Chris Mango-Morgan and Tom Orlando helped with set-up and microphones.
· I appreciate Barb Adams’ flexibility for sharing the Gym.
· Initial placement tests were given by Joni Moretta, Wiaan de Beer, and Julie Pacaro.
· Ashwina Mosakowski generously provided a pizza treat for all the Spellers after the bee.
· Thanks to the teachers who allowed the students and their invited guests to attend. (There was also a nice number of parents/family members who attended.)
I appreciate the support and cooperation of everyone who contributed to making this year’s beesuch a success! One team!
BettyThe Scripps National Spelling Bee is an educational promotion sponsored by The E.W. Scripps Company in conjunction with sponsoring newspapers and organizations around the world. Its purpose is to help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabulary, learn concepts, and develop correct English usage that will help them all their lives. The 2013 Scripps National Spelling Bee will involve more than eleven million students at the local level.
DTS middle school students will have the opportunity to represent their grade in the DTS School Bee to be held the week of December 17, 2012.
Approximately 30 students (ten each from grades 6, 7, and 8) who score at the top of a grade-level spelling test (to be given the week of November 19) will participate in the School Bee. The top two winners will move on to the Delaware County Bee to be held in March 2013 at Neumann University in Aston.
Middle school students- look for your study word list to be sent home November 5. Good luck!