Art Activities and Resources
Silly Drawing Prompts
- Combine two animals to create a new one.
- Draw a dinosaur crying.
- Draw a lizard putting on lipstick.
- Draw a cat playing a sport.
- Draw a banana slipping on banana peels.
- Draw a donut riding a skateboard.
- Draw a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on vacation.
- Draw a lemon making orange juice.
- Draw a basketball player dunking a chicken.
- Draw your teacher as a zombie.
- Draw a clown sneezing out flowers.
- Draw a troll riding a unicorn.
- Draw a dragon breathing rainbows.
- Draw a pair of scissors running.
- Draw a mountain topped with glitter.
- Draw a cabin on top of a cloud.
- Draw the moon howling at a wolf.
- Draw an eye with tree branches for lashes.
- Reinvent your favorite team’s logo.
- Draw a plant with a face.
For more “Silly Drawing Prompts”- https://theartofeducation.edu/2017/04/10/100-silly-drawing-prompts-engage-students/
Sketchbook Drawing Prompts
- Draw family members with things that are important to them.
- Make a portrait of yourself in twenty years. Or in fifty years. Or both.
- Draw something or someone you love.
- Draw something from a pet’s point of view.
- Draw your favorite food.
- Draw the oldest thing in your refrigerator.
- Draw a piece of fruit every day until it becomes rotten.
- Create three drawings of messes you have made.
- Draw five objects with interesting textures: wood grain, floors, tiles, walls, fabric, etc.
- Let someone else choose your subject and tell you what to draw.
For more “Sketchbook Drawing Prompts”- https://theartofeducation.edu/2015/11/10/100-sketchbook-prompts-your-students-will-love/
Other Drawing Resources:
Instructed Video Drawing with Age Levels: https://www.artforkidshub.com/
Mo Willems (Artist and Illustrator) Lunch Time Guided Drawings: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL14hRqd0PELGbKihHuTqx_pbvCLqGbOkF
Cassie Stephens (Art Teacher) Videos- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdEo82iK2lzwMqCxBuQmmrQ
Want to make art, but don’t have traditional art supplies? Let’s get creative
-Condiments: ketchup, mustard, chocolate sauce
- Spices mixed with a little water
- Drinks: Tea bags, juice, coffee grinds, Kool-Aid
- Fruit: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries
- Mud and dirt (mix with different amounts of water)
- Leaves, berries, or flowers crushed
-Water on an OUTSIDE wall.
· Rubber Bands
· Cotton balls
· Your fingers
· Marbles (roll them in a box with paint and paper)
· Straws (dip the end in paint and blow)
Things to Paint
· Boxes (cereal, shoe, delivery)
· Napkins (color with marker, spray with water, and open it up)
· Car (water only)
· Pizza boxes
· Paper plates and bowls
Make your own!
- Make your own paper: Newspaper and blender
- Make your own watercolor paint from markers: Soak the insides of old markers in water overnight
- Make your own marbleizing: Shaving cream with food coloring dripped on, swirl lightly, lay paper on, scrape of shaving cream!
- Bubbles with a little color added and blown onto paper
- Milk Paint- add food coloring to milk and paint it on items like bread. Then eat it!
- Homemade play doughs.
- Textured rubbings- take a crayon with a paper and rub against the trees, rocks, gravel, cardboard, etc to see their textures.
- Stamping: Legos, cardboard tubes, cut fruit (potatoes, apples) etc
- Nature Mandalas
- Found objects