Course Description: Students will learn the accounting cycle from opening entries to financial statements and become acquainted with business records in the accounting field for a service business. They will prepare: worksheets, balance sheets and income statements for a service business.
Course Competencies/ Learning Objectives
Students who successfully complete Accounting I will be competent in the following areas:
- Defining accounting & identify how accounting serves as a basis for careers
- Classifying accounts as assets, liabilities, owner’s equity, revenue or expenses
- Analyzing transactions into debit & credit parts
- Verifying the equality of debits & credits
- Prepare journal entries, charts of accounts, balance sheets, worksheets, income statements and posting adjusting & closing entries
The grading system for the Accounting Class at Academy Park High School is as follows:
Tests, Projects, & Major Papers
Classwork, & Minor Assignments
Attendance & Class Participation (Starting Activities)
20% (School Wide)
10% (School Wide)
Late Work: will only be accepted ONE day after the due date for half credit! If the assignment has been reviewed in class that day, an alternative assignment will be given.