Academy Park High School
Credit Hour: 1
Name: Mrs. Sibbett
Phone: (610) 522-4330 ext-6143
Class Location: Portable 2
Office Location: Portable 2
Teacher Website: http://websites.pdesas.org/gsibbett/default.aspx
The manner in which we prepare students at Academy Park High School is informed by four attributes: (1) Dedicated faculty who will hold themselves to, at minimum, to the same standards as the students we teach; (2) Positive relationships developed and nurtured between and among adults and students; (3) A high level of rigor included in instructional practices via standards aligned and contextually driven instruction; and (4) Connecting positive relationships with effective instruction for positive academy RESULTS!
This course will highlight the characteristics and influences that effect human growth and development and human behavior. It will cover the conditions that influence the learning and thinking process. The study and discussion of personality disturbances and their treatment will be emphasized. Lastly, it will be a study of the individual’s behavior in society. The course will highlight the significance of cultural, ethnic, and racial groups in socializing the human being as a member of society, such as crime, aging, race, and the environment.
Textbook: Understanding Psychology
Course Competencies/ Learning Objectives:
Students who successfully complete Psychology/Sociology will be competent in the following areas:
- Develop a general understanding of various theories in behavioral, cognitive, biological, psychoanalytic, and humanistic psychological approaches.
- Develop an understanding of the biological and psychological processes of the mind.
- Achieve a better understanding of theirs and others thoughts, behaviors, and relationships.
- Analyze and evaluate the causes/symptoms, effects, and treatments of various psychological disorders.
- Analyze the mental and physical aspects of human development.
- Understand the role that society plays in forming our thoughts and behavior.
The grading system for the Social Studies Department at Academy Park High School is as follows:
Tests, Projects, & Major Papers
Quizzes, Classwork, & Minor Assignments
Attendance & Class Participation
20% (school wide)
10% (school wide)
The above areas will be used as the basis for 80% of your grade per semester. The midterm and/or final exam will constitute the remaining 20% of your grade per semester.
Regular and prompt class attendance is an essential part of the educational experience. Academy Park High School expects students to exercise good judgment regarding attendance and absences. Students will accept full responsibility for ensuring their work does not suffer because of absences. All students are expected to attend every scheduled class on time. Exceptions may be made for illness and valid emergencies.
1. Be on time.
2. Respect yourself, your peers, your teachers and administrators.
4. No cell phones.
5. No profane or vulgar language.
- Use your time wisely!!! Every second that you get to dedicate to individual work, please use it!
It is imperative that you keep up on all required readings and assignments.
Remember: I only accept assignments up to 2 full school days late (2 deducted per day). After 2 days, a grade of zero will be issued for the assignment.
- It is imperative that you attend class regularly. It is vital for success in any class! If for some reason you need to be absent, please makeup all assignments.
- You can see me after school to get the makeup work. I will not do this during class. Class time is so limited! You need to be responsible!
- You have 2 full school days from the date of absence to make up any and all work. Remember, your absences need to be excused. After 2 days, a grade of zero will be issued.
- Pens, pencils, highlighters
- Spiral Notebook
Plagiarism, Cheating, and Academic Integrity
Plagiarism is the practice of copying words, sentences, images, or ideas for use in written or oral assessments without giving proper credit to the source. Cheating is defined as the giving or receiving of illegal help on anything that has been determined by the teacher to be an individual effort. Both are considered serious offenses and will significantly affect your course grade. Please refer to the Student Code of Conduct booklet for additional information.
A combination of lecture, class discussion, presentations, videos, cooperative learning, and problem-based learning will be used in this course. Grades will be determined by the satisfactory and timely completion of assignments. The grade of each assignment is based on the prerequisite given for each assignment. Below is an overview of topic/ units and major assessments/assignments for this course. Please note dates/timeframes are subject to change and are an estimate.
All course unit topics