Middle School Mathematics:
- Learning mathematics is an active collaborative process where students need to communicate effectively.
- A strong mathematical foundation is essential for future mathematical success.
- Connections within mathematics and among other disciplines ensure mathematical understandings.
- Solving problems using critical thinking skills is essential.
- Representing, replicating and extending patterns promote problem-solving success.
- Analyzing one’s own work encourages responsibility and accountability.
- Models enhance the visual relationships that exist in mathematics.
- The relationship between technology and mathematics is essential for educational growth in our global society.
- Pearson Mathematics-Grade 6,7,8
- To access the book, please go to my.hrw.com and type in the username and the given student password.
Middle School Language Arts
Language Arts is an integrated, literature-based curriculum that focuses on the development of reading, writing, and speaking skills. The literature selections in eighth grade are organized around the themes taken from the core curriculum materials of Holt, Rinehart & Winston, which includes integration with math, social studies and science.Students are engaged in activities with each of these units to include discussions, small group work, journals, independent reading, teaching of reading skills and strategies, teaching of writing skills, special projects, speaking skills, and interdisciplinary connections. The types of genres taught at the sixth grade level are novels, including a comprehensive study of Holes, short stories, nonfiction, folk tales, drama, poetry, and personal narratives. Language instruction focuses on the literary elements of plot, setting, theme, point of view, simile, characterization, metaphor, and personification.Students produce writing in the form of personal narrative, letters, persuasive pieces, creative forms, research report, and expository. Content and structure of writing focuses on developing interesting leads and endings, including rich details, effective word choice, sentence variety and paragraphing.Instruction includes mechanical focus on proper format, use of complete sentences, proper nouns, capitalization, and correct punctuation. Sentence structure, including phrases, clauses and syntax and instruction in identification and proper use of parts of speech such as nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns, and adverbs are also a focus. In addition weekly literature circles provide opportunities to discuss how authors create and craft quality literature.